Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Pet stores in the area?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Pet stores in the area?

    I know its always good to adopt a dog from a shelter, and I know you can sometimes find good animals for sell in the paper or in the trading post or such, but right now, just wanting to check pet stores and look.

    Of course I know we got the one out in the shopping center in Wise (which by the way needs to be bigger or have more animals besides fish), but where else are some local ones?

    I've went to one in Pikeville and one in Prestonsburg (there is another one in Prestonsburg but even though its open till 6 and I've been there 2 times at 4-5 range and its been closed...which sucks when gas costs as much as it does...), are there any others local or semi-local?

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet stores in the area?

    Have your tried the Petsmart in Kingsport? They tend to have more cats when I have been in there, but I think they do have dogs occasionally as well.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet stores in the area?

    I had went there a time or 2 and they always had cats. Never found a poochie there [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet stores in the area?

    Pet Partners in K'town used to have dogs on the first Saturday of every month if I am not mistaken, but they were from the Kingsport, or Hawkins County shelter. Other than that they just had birds, and stuff like that.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet stores in the area?

    I have to add my 2 cents:

    Don't buy dogs & cats from petstores.

    I know there will be people come on and say "I spent $200 on fluffy down at the local petstore and she's great" ..blah blah blah but the sad truth is, these are puppy mill & backyard breeder dogs.

    Buying from them only perpetuates the puppy mill business.
    They live in horrible conditions. Have puppies constantly, no human interaction, poor living conditions. The owners dont breed for healthy puppies. They breed for quantity & profit.

    Most just think "I'll stick these two dogs together and sell the pups for $400. I'll be rich" They dont research health & pedigree. They dont care that their dog is far from reaching ideal breed standard.

    2 of the dogs my sister has are rescues from a backyard breeder who thought she'd breed 2 pretty dachshunds & sell the pups. The moron knew nothing. She bred 2 dapple dachshunds together and got 2 dead pups and one deaf/blind pup and one pup with only one good eye. I tried to tell this woman what she did and how things went as wrong as they did, but it was in one ear and out the other. She'll probably do it again.

    These folks don't care. It's pure ignorance.

    And btw.. "Having papers" means nothing. You can register any dog with AKC. All you have to do is lie about who the parents are. It means nothing in terms of quality & verification of dog health/breed.

    Try a rescue group:
    www.petfinder.com
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet stores in the area?

    My daughter works at Petsmart in Kpt and could tell you a little about them.
    I agree with elp6n. The best place to buy a dog is from an individual who loves the breed and likes to see it perpetuated. And its always good to be able to visit their homes and see how their dogs are treated. I think my dogs get more and better medical attention than I do!

    What breed are you looking for?

    I'll sell you a Shih Tzu, cheap!!! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

    Send me a PM if interested.

    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet stores in the area?

    Have tried petfinder and nothing 'clicks' so wanting to look and see if a petstore does click

    Lets not group, we used to breed some dogs and the things were taken care of better than I was [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    I know there are plenty who don't take care of them and don't do anything proper, and papers is/are nice, but I want to go visually see the dogs.

    Have done went and visited 2 houses of people who was selling dogs, and I was concerned about cleaning me when I left.

    Its been a several month look, and will continue to look but wanting options, thus the reason I asked [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet stores in the area?

    [ QUOTE ]
    I have to add my 2 cents:

    Don't buy dogs & cats from petstores.

    I know there will be people come on and say "I spent $200 on fluffy down at the local petstore and she's great" ..blah blah blah but the sad truth is, these are puppy mill & backyard breeder dogs.

    Buying from them only perpetuates the puppy mill business.
    They live in horrible conditions. Have puppies constantly, no human interaction, poor living conditions. The owners dont breed for healthy puppies. They breed for quantity & profit.

    Most just think "I'll stick these two dogs together and sell the pups for $400. I'll be rich" They dont research health & pedigree. They dont care that their dog is far from reaching ideal breed standard.

    2 of the dogs my sister has are rescues from a backyard breeder who thought she'd breed 2 pretty dachshunds & sell the pups. The moron knew nothing. She bred 2 dapple dachshunds together and got 2 dead pups and one deaf/blind pup and one pup with only one good eye. I tried to tell this woman what she did and how things went as wrong as they did, but it was in one ear and out the other. She'll probably do it again.

    These folks don't care. It's pure ignorance.

    And btw.. "Having papers" means nothing. You can register any dog with AKC. All you have to do is lie about who the parents are. It means nothing in terms of quality & verification of dog health/breed.

    Try a rescue group:
    www.petfinder.com


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Petsmart in Kingsport only offers rescued animals.

    They usually have dogs two or three evenings a week. They keep the cats there all the time, but only bring the dogs in when they've got enough volunteers.

    Def. some of the weirdest people I've ever seen.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Craes's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2005
    Posts
    1,212
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet stores in the area?

    petfinder--the In His Hands Group--had some papillions. I got one he is great. He is a mama's boy, he is missing his playmate though, he played with the kitten that is missing (yesyes cheap plug for my missing cat but hey)They are not large animals, mine is a red and white....Gizmo and they are not that old.
    I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet stores in the area?

    [ QUOTE ]
    Petsmart in Kingsport only offers rescued animals

    [/ QUOTE ]
    I was aware of that. Different rescue groups bring out their adoptables from time to time.

    I don't advocate the buying of animals from petstores that were likely bred in puppymills in the first place.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •